December is here, and for many, it is a time of celebration, gifting,…and just plain staying warm and healthy. How can Om support your health and wellness this month?
What about a simple salve you can make to soothe those chapped lips and help with dry skin? Salves are a natural, affordable, and easy way to take care of your skin. Our cold winter conditions can cause irritated skin and the lack of sun contributes to overall sensitivity.
Not only a treat for yourself, home-made salves make a gift that will be sure to delight anyone!
With a base of Oil, a little Beeswax and some Herbs – Salve is natural and healing with the added benefit of it smelling so wonderful you might want to eat it… (you almost could, but we don’t recommend it 😉 By adding carefully chosen herbs and botanicals to address your specific needs, you can create personalized skincare products, tailored just right for you and your loved ones.
Our organic, unfiltered, natural beeswax comes in chunks you can break down further to the required amount. Why is this one darker in color than other beeswax we’ve offered in the past? It varies from season to season. It is a single source beeswax, collected by bees foraging only on wildflowers such as Fireweed, Goldenrod, Paintbrush, and Aster blooming in far Northern Alberta as opposed to collection from light colored flowers like Clover that tend to produce both a lighter honey and wax.
Oils & Herbs
Choosing your Oil:
Olive Oil – Moisturizing/Antioxidant
Sesame Oil – Anti-Inflammatory/Anti-Bacterial
Coconut Oil – Anti-Bacterial/Moisturizing
Shea Butter – Antioxidant/Healing
Cacao Butter – Moisturizing/Luxurious – and smells of Chocolate 😉
Choosing your Herbs
Commonly used and recommended herbs would include:
Comfrey Root – Nourishing/Healing
Echinacea Root – Healing/Anti-Inflammatory
Lavender flowers – Calming Effects/Anti-Inflammatory
Red Rose Petals – Uplifting/Nourishing
Nettle leaf – Nourishing/Healing
St. John’s Wort- Soothing/Muscle Soreness/
Yarrow leaf and flowers – Soothing
DIY Basic Salve Recipe
- 8oz Oil(s)
- 1oz Beeswax
- Herbs of your choice
- 2-3 Vit E oil capsules
- Essential oils of you choice
- Infuse the herbs in oil
- There are two ways to do this. You can either combine the herbs and the oil in a jar with an airtight lid and leave 3-4 weeks, shaking daily.
2. heat herbs and oil over low/low heat in a double boiler for about 3 hours (low heat!) until the oil has significantly deepened in color (often a rich green).
- Strain the herbs from the oil by pouring through a cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer. Let all oil drip out and then squeeze the herbs to get the remaining oil out.
- Discard the herbs into your compost
- Measure and heat the infused oil in a double boiler and add 1oz beeswax per 8oz oil – stir until melted and well blended.
- Add your choice of essential oils (optional) and puncture & squeeze out about 2-3 capsules of Vit E which serves as a natural preservative – blend well again.
- Pour into small tins, glass jars or lip chap tubes.
- Let slowly cool at room temperatures.
- Don’t forget to label your creations in case you want to replicate your results again.
Voila, you have created your own home-made personalized herbal salve! Double check for any sensitivities on a small patch of skin…all good?…now go for it! You can use it on your whole body, as a massage oil, moisturize dry areas, heal cuts/rashes, etc…
Enjoy!…and let us know about your favorites 🙂
Disclaimer: this information is for educational purposes only and has not been evaluated by the FDA or CFIA. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. All products have been packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, soy, and other potential allergens.